Jump to recipe
Sweet and savoury. Savoury and sweet. Who said that bacon and peanut butter can’t be friends?
Banana & Peanut Butter Muffins with a Savoury Streusel
- 110 g Cake Flour (3/4 cup)
- 50 g Sugar, (1/4 cup)
- 5 ml Smoked Paprika
- 20 ml Fresh Thyme, finely chopped
- 2,5 ml Salt
- 80 g Butter, softened
- 8 Strips Bacon, chopped finely
- 300 g Cake Flour (2 cups)
- 100 g Sugar (1/2 cup)
- 15 ml Baking Powder
- 2,5 ml Salt
- 200 g Ripe Bananas, about 3 medium size
- 140 g Peanut Butter (1/2 cup)
- 60 ml Olive Oil (1/4 cup)
- 2 Eggs, large
- 180 ml Buttermilk / Plain Yoghurt
- 5 ml Vanilla Essence
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a standard twelve muffin pan with paper liners; set aside.
- Fry the bacon until crispy in a little bit of olive oil, drain and cool to room temperature
- Combine the flour, sugar, paprika, thyme, and salt in a medium-size bowl. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients with your fingers until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the bacon and set aside until ready to use.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas. Then add the rest of the ingredients in order and whisk until smooth with each addition. Start with the peanut butter and followed by the oil, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients with a wooden spoon and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups and top each muffin generously with the bacon streusel.
- Bake until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick, inserted in the middle, comes out clean, about 20 – 23 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and convert it to a wire rack. Let cool before serving.