Summer of winter. Wedding or tea party. This cake will always be a classic.
- 4 Large Eggs
- 400g (500ml) Sugar
- 250ml Sunflower Oil
- Zest of 2 Lemons
- 125ml Lemon Juice
- 125ml Milk
- 5ml Vanilla Essence
- 400g Cake Flour
- 15ml Baking Powder
- 5ml Salt
- 375g Butter, softened
- 750g icing Sugar, sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 30 – 45ml Lemon Juice.
- Food Colouring Gel
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease 3 x 8″ Cake Rounds with non-stick spray.
- Beat the eggs and sugar using an electric mixer until pale in color and fluffy.
- Reduce the mixers’ speed to slow and slowly add the oil followed by the lemon zest. Beat until well incorporated.
- In a measuring jug, mix the milk, lemon juice, and vanilla essence. Mix well and keep aside.
- In a clean mixing bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- With the mixer running at a slow speed, add a third of the flour mixture to the egg mixture, once incorporated, add half of the liquid mixture. Beat until well mixed.
- Add another third of the flour mixture, followed by the remaining liquid mixture. Beat until well mixed.
- Finally, add the remaining flour mixture. Beat until well combined and no streaks of flour are visible.
- Pour the batter in the prepared cake rounds and bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Flip the cake onto a cooling rack, and allow to cool completely before frosting the cake.
- Place softened butter into the bowl of a stand mixer that has been fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Turn the mixer on a medium setting and cream the butter until it is smooth and has lightened in color, about 3 minutes.
- Add icing sugar, 1cup at a time. After each cup has been incorporated, turn the mixer onto the highest speed setting and beat for about 1 minute to lighten the frosting.
- Add the salt, lemon juice, and food coloring, beat until well incorporated.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes before frosting the cake.