This is Johan’s favorite cake. For his birthday celebration during the lockdown, this was his only request.
- 150 g Butter
- 200 g Dark Chocolate
- 10 ml Vanilla
- 6 Large Eggs, separated
- 200 g Sugar (1 cup)
- 130 g Almond Flour (1 cup)
- 60 g Desiccated Coconut (½ cup)
- 30 g Cocoa Powder (¼ cup)
- 5 ml Salt
- Flaked or Whole Almonds
- Maraschino Cherries
- Icing Sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line the base of a 9” (23cm) round springform with parchment and spray bottom and sides with non stick spray.
- Melt butter, chocolate and vanilla.
- Beat the egg yolks into mixture until well combined
- In a separate bowl, sieve the almond flour, cocoa, 150g of the sugar(¾ cup) and salt together. Add the coconut and stir with a wooden spoon until thoroughly mixed.
- Add to the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks. Add rest of sugar (50g – ¼ cup) and beat another minute.
- Take a ⅓ of the egg white and mix it into the batter. Carefully fold the rest of the egg whites into mixture.
- Pour and level the batter in the prepared springform and bake 35 – 40 minutes.
- Cool the cake inside the tin for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Invert it onto the rack, remove the baking paper and invert it again onto the serving plate.
- When completely cooled, dust with icing sugar and garnish with almonds and Maraschino cherries