This is absolutely one of my favorites to be served with crackers and cheese. Even breakfast toast is not the same without this marmalade.
1 hour, 5 minutes
- 500 g Bacon, chopped
- 60 ml Olive Oil
- 500 g Onions, cleaned & chopped
- 7.5 ml Crushed Black Peppercorns
- 125 ml Balsamic Vinegar
- 150 g Brown Sugar (180ml)
- 250 ml Strong Black Coffee
- 125 ml Red Wine
- 60 ml Brandy
- In a saucepan, brown the bacon in 30ml of the oil. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, lightly brown the onions with the pepper in the remaining oil. Deglaze with the vinegar and reduce to three-quarters.
- Add the brown sugar, coffee, Red wine, brandy, and cooked bacon. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes over low heat or until the juices are almost completely evaporated.
- Let cool and refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.